Intellectual Property Bill 2013–14: Clause 18 (sharing information with overseas patent offices)
21 October 2013
The IP Federation has issued a policy paper in response to the provisions for the sharing of information with overseas patent office proposed in Clause 18 of the Intellectual Property Bill 2013–14.
The new power given by the section is extremely broad. Thus we suggest that the provision should be substantially limited:
- the information to be exchanged should be limited to search and examination results;
- information should be provided only about UK applications designated by UK filing number, from which priority has been claimed in the country of the patent office seeking information;
- no information should be provided earlier than one year from the date of the UK filing, unless the applicant agrees otherwise;
- the UK applicant should be informed of the request and the information provided; and
- information should only be provided to patent offices of countries on an approved list, to be added to from time to time, by statutory instrument.
For full details, click HERE.
To see all our policy papers, click HERE.
Intellectual Property Bill 2013–14: IP Federation position on Clause 13
The IP Federation has issued a further policy paper in response to the...
Public consultation on the Rules of Procedure for the Unified Patent Court
The IP Federation has submitted a response to the public consultation on the...
Commission proposal to amend Brussels I Regulation to UPC Agreement
The IP Federation has prepared comments on the Commission proposal...
Unified Patent Court Rules of Procedure Consultation Event webcast
The consultation on the rules of procedure for the Unified Patent Court closes...
Court of Justice case C-364/13 (International Stem Cell Corporation)
The IP Federation is urging UK intervention at the Court of Justice of the European...
Patents, Trade Marks and Design Rights: Groundless Threats
The IP Federation has submitted a response to the Law Commission consultation...
Intellectual Property Bill 2013–14: Part 1 – Design
The IP Federation has written to the UK IPO (Intellectual Property Office)...
Criminal sanctions for Registered Design infringement – IP Federation response
The IP Federation has issued a policy paper in response to the provision...
Patent-related incentives and impediments to transfer of technology
The IP Federation has submitted a response to the Standing Committee on the...
Consultation on accelerated patent processing at the IPO
The IP Federation has submitted a response to the UK IPO (Intellectual Property...